A traditional Austrian dessert that can be best described as fluffy, pillow-y and pancake-y!
Traditional Austrian Fluffy Pancakes
Servings: 4 people
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Add the egg whites to a large bowl and whisk them until they turn lightly frothy (Ideally you should be doing this with an electric whisk). Now slowly start adding in the granulated sugar while continuously whisking the eggs. Once all the sugar is added keep whisking until you have stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl add the egg yolks, milk, flour and vanilla extract and combine them well. Now add half of your stiff egg white mixture and slowly fold it in to loosen the batter. Add the second half and fold until there are no big clumps of egg white left. Try to fold gently to retain as much air as possible!
- Place a medium sized, oven-safe pan on the hob and add the butter to it. Once the butter is melted turn off the heat and add all of your batter into the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and let it bake for 15 minutes. Once the time is up you should be left with a lightly brown puffy pillow-y pancake that isn't cooked all the way through yet. Cut it into quarters and flip each piece over. Then return it to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and rip each of the quarters into bite sized pieces and sprinkle over the brown sugar. Place it in the oven for another 2-3 minutes or until the sugar is lightly caramelized.
- Serve it up ideally with a healthy dusting of powdered sugar and some vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!