Garlic-Chili-Oil pasta with a crunchy topping of pine nuts, Parmesan, bread crumbs and parsley.
Aglio e Olio
Garlicy, Chili, Olive Oil pasta with a crunchy topping.
Servings: 2 Servings
Pasta & Sauce
- 150 g Spaghetti
- 2 Garlic Cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 tbsp Pine Nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 tbsp Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Prepare your ingredients for the topping by chopping the pine nuts and parsley, and grating the Parmesan cheese.
- Pre-heat a medium sized pan and add your chopped pine nuts. Lightly toast them without adding any oil to the pan.
- Once the nuts are lightly toasted you can add the 1 Tbsp of olive oil and the bread crumbs to the pan. Fry until the bread crumbs are a nice golden brown. Lightly season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan. (We will re-use the pan for the sauce to save some washing up). Let this mixture cool off a bit while you prepare the pasta and sauce.
- Once the mixture has cooled off a bit add your parsley and Parmesan and mix it well.
Pasta & Sauce
- For your pasta, bring water to a boil in a large pot. Remember to season the water with salt. (Pasta water is supposed to taste like the ocean). Once the water comes to a boil, add your pasta and cook it according to the package instructions. Don't forget to save roughly ¼ cup of the pasta water.
- Peel and roughly chop your garlic. Don't make the pieces too fine as they will otherwise burn quite easily.
- In the pan you used for the topping, add your olive oil and the chopped garlic. Fry it until the garlic is lightly browned, then add the chili flakes and remove the pan from the heat right away. The residual heat should be enough to lightly toast the chili flakes without them burning.
- Once your pasta is done to your liking, drain it and add it to the pan with the chili-garlic-oil. Over low heat, stir the mixture together and, little at a time, add some of the reserved pasta water. This should slowly emulsify and give all your noodles a nice light coating of sauce.
- Serve pasta and add the crunchy topping on top. Enjoy!